[uf-discuss] Mailing list debate moved & new proposal

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 7 10:21:30 PST 2006

On 11/7/06 9:59 AM, "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You seem to assume that we want to scale. :D
>>> However, those solutions are against the grain of microformats.
>>> They'd no longer be simple, they'd no longer work together. There would
> be too many of them.
>
> Then I am getting more and more disenchanted with the whole MicroFormat
> concept. Microformats will be nowhere nearly as useful I as first assumed it
> to be.

To be clear Mike, microformats were never envisioned to solve all format
problems, or metaformat problems etc.  That ocean boiling is better left to
many others who are pursuing those goals.

microformats have always been intended to simply solve common real-world
problems in an 80/20 fashion.  This limitation is quite deliberate, and is
key to microformats being *actually* useful in the immediate/nearterm
future, as opposed to *theoretically* useful in some ideal/imaginary world
where boil the ocean (BTO) solutions have some how magically altered human
culture and society as a whole to radically change behavior and adopt them
wholesale.

http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats

Thanks,

Tantek