[uf-discuss] hcard real world application

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Tue Nov 14 03:54:39 PST 2006

On 14/11/2006, "Gary Barber" <gazbe at radharc.com.au> wrote:

>However I have noted a number of instances within a few addresses that
>just don't seem to fit in microformats.
>
>*Case 1*
>
>Reply Paid Addresses
>
>eg
>
>Reply Paid 61461
>Locked Bag 1233 (okay this bit is the class="post-office-box")
>
>"Reply Paid 61461" Its not really a post-office-box strictly  or is in
>bundled in the post-office-box class

So what is "Reply Paid 61461" ? What name would you give that in the
real world? What function does it perform?

If it's part of the address, then extended-address might cover it.

>*Case 2*
>
>Freecall numbers
>
>you can have telephone numbers of the type
>
>home (allowed for)
>work (allowed for)
>fax  (allowed for)
>cell  (allowed for)
>pager (allowed for)
>
>and then you can also
>Freecall  (no allowance)
>Freefax (no allowance)

'Freecall' isn't a type of number. The type is probably 'work' and
probably 'voice'. The information you're trying to convey here is the
rate at which the call is charged to the caller. This isn't something
that hCard (or VCARD before it) tries to capture.

>*Case 3*
>
>How do you express the case of an address as
>
>Work telephone (understand this one)
>Fax number (understand this one)
>
>this is the bit I'm having trouble with
>
>Freecall (from one country - AU eg 1800 1234 1234)
>Freecall (from another country - NZ 800 232 222)

So the question here is how do we mark up phone numbers to indicate the
country for which the number is valid. I'm not sure, to be honest.
Again, it's not something hCard tries to capture. I'd be tempted to
use rel-tag and tag the number with the ISO country code or something
like that.

drew.