[uf-discuss] hThing microformat ... or design pattern

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Nov 17 10:43:41 PST 2006

In message
<3d6832e50611170751q2ffca5adiaa6b9f697e050603 at mail.gmail.com>, Eric
Skiff <microformats at glitchnyc.com> writes

>hItem is a bit vague on purpose to make it flexible, but in general, i
>think it will be most useful for describing physical goods.

Consider these two examples.

        A bottle of wine is an item. So is the case of 12 bottles in
        which it is sold.

Is the wine inside the bottle also an object in its own right?

and

        A brick is an object.
        So is the wall of which that forms part.
        So is the room of which that forms part.
        So is the apartment of which that forms part.
        So is the apartment block of which that forms part.

Is the city of which the apartment block forms a part, also an object?

If I mark up the apartment block with all of its aforesaid components,
in a nested manner, and apply a height, does it apply to the block, or
the brick?

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>