[uf-discuss] Custom Fields Microformat?

Aaron Gustafson aaron at easy-designs.net
Sat Nov 25 08:28:59 PST 2006

Bruce D'Arcus [bdarcus.lists at gmail.com] wrote:
> On 11/25/06, Manuel Simoni <msimoni at gmail.com> wrote:

>> For example, XOXO would force implementors to adapt a list structure,
>> which probably is too rigid for them. The hcustomfield-* classes let
>> implementors use any layout they desire, and my examples show that
>> the use of these three simple classes is enough to unify two major
>> existing implementations (Wordpress and Drupal).
>
> Though the problem with the custom property-value approach is
> that properties then must be visible. It also seems to go
> against the current of current practice (where properties are
> encoded as meaningful class names).

Not necessarily. If we implemented a strict guideline requiring the property
name *immediately* follow the "property" (or "hcustomfield-name") CLASS
declaration, it would not be difficult to write *or* parse and would keep
the property invisible. We have an example of this in the property-value bit
of the brainstorming on hProduct [1].

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct-brainstorming#Extensibility

It would require separation of multi-word property names using either a
hyphen (-) or underscore (_), though. I originally thought a hyphen would
suffice, but hyphenated property names would likely exist somewhere, making
underscores probably the best choice for word separation.

Cheers,

Aaron

----
Aaron Gustafson