[uf-discuss] Re: Currency + Unit of measurement (Was: Currency+Product)

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Sun Oct 1 18:36:50 PDT 2006

Scott,

My feeling is that if we must start with the simplest form of useful
data and pave the cow paths, then "price" in hListing is good enough for
me, and there is no need to pave that "currency" path for now, or even
discuss it, at least not on this discussion list:

    * Google says that the "price" classname is the 40th most popular
      class name on the Web:
      http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html. You can't
      beat that.
    * There seems to be very few cows on the "currency" path today:
      after hours of research, the only example I've found on the Web
      that disambiguates the "$" with a <span> or <abbr> and adhoc class
      name is the MacAfee example:
      http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-examples#McAfee.C2.A0.28http:.2F.2Fus.mcafee.com.2Froot.2Fpackage.asp.3Fpkgid.3D100.29.None
      of the top online vendors (Dell, Amazon, Walmart, Staples, etc.)
      care about disambiguating currencies in price.
    * Focusing on disambiguating only the currency can only be useful to
      me for conversion, and Greasemonkey scripts and other browser
      plugins for currency conversion seem to work ok most of the time,
      using other clues to disambiguate, for instance the domain name
      ".ca" to disambiguate the "$" sign.

Once we found more real examples, we can resume discussions here on this
subject.

Let me know what you think.

Guillaume