[uf-discuss] geo - accuracy of coordinates

Kevin Marks kmarks at technorati.com
Mon Oct 2 15:23:56 PDT 2006

Andy, you're missing the point.

A bare lat-long pair is not always helpful.

If that's all you have, you can't really display a useful map. The
existing mapping tools tend to use product-specific ways of specifying
the degree of zoom needed, to distinguish between the right side of my
desk, the Technorati offices, South of Market, San Francisco, The Bay
Area, California, and America.

A radius of interest is a way to express this in a platform-neutral way
that doesn't require address-parsing. It is readily derivable from any
specific mapping platform.

If you want to express a geographic feature such as those I mentioned
above, clearly a human-readable label such as 'San Francisco' is a
better than a polygon. You probably realise that the polygons necessary
are in fact fractals, with the resolution necessary determined by the
zoom level too.

We don't want to replicate Arc-Info here, we want to replicate useful
user-info.