[uf-discuss] Marking Up Personal Profiles

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Mon Oct 2 18:17:00 PDT 2006

Le 3 oct. 06 à 06:00, Chris Casciano a écrit :
> It may be worth looking at the recent changes istockphoto has made
> wrt. localizing tags [as part of a bigger localization effort]
> before getting too deep into this conversation on one side of the
> other. I've only caught a wiff of it for mentions of transition
> problems, but it sounds like an interesting *and* real world/live
> example of wrestling with the issue of translations and or similes
> in tagging.

Yes indeed.
Do you know a bit more of what they did? Or at least what were the
issues?

I wish that tagging systems had (on the backend side) ways to deal with
	- associating meaning on user choices (your own private taxonomy)
	- associating meaning with a bigger classification (attach a tag to
an already existing taxonomy, ex: geo stuff)
	- associating two tags giving them equivalences on user choices

SKOS with label being the tags
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-skos-core-guide/
http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xtech05/papers/03-04-01/

It's all about giving users the choice to use well defined taxonomy
AND to build his/her own if needed.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***