[uf-discuss] Citation Microformat: LazyWeb for BibTeXperts

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:25:57 PDT 2006

On 10/5/06, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have updated my Straw proposal slightly to avoid collisions with
> class values and to bring it in line with other formats (e.g. hResume,
> what was 'title' is now 'fn')

Why? Seems quite awkward to me to call a title a "fn."

> Taking the implied schema, i began to create an XSLT that maps those
> values to BibTeX. NOTE: this is NOT a 1:1 mapping of BibTeX, it is a
> mapping of COMMON values in the wild to their BibTeX equivalents (or
> atleast i think they are equivalent - some one will tell me otherwise
> i'm sure). Eventually, there will be XSLTs to map between the
> microformat and other citation formats through the Implied Schema.
>
> XHTML-2-Citations
> http://suda.co.uk/projects/microformats/X2C/

You have a list of formats. I'd call RIS (and the related
Refer/Endnote) an important legacy format; much more so than some of
the others. I'd be willing to send you some XSLTs I've written that
convert my RDF vocab to/from MODS, which might help. Contact me
off-list if interested.

> let me know. Is the Straw proposal adequate? Is KEY required (can this
> be accomplied with the ID attribute)?

I take you mean the bibtex key? I'm pretty sure it's required.

I don't your simple example is quite right. This:

@PDF{
TITLE="Using Microformats",
ABSTRACT="Interest in microformats has been steadily on the increase.
Microformats are easy to learn and implement. If you are a
Web-designer, a back-end programmer, or an interface engineer,
microformats are relevant to your field.",
KEYWORDS="book,oreilly,pdf,microformats,brian+suda",
YEAR="2006",
MONTH="09",
AUTHOR="Brian Suda",
PUBLISHER="O'Reilly Publishing",
ADDRESS="1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472, USA",
}

... should be:

@BOOK{some-key,
TITLE="Using Microformats",
ABSTRACT="Interest in microformats has been steadily on the increase.
Microformats are easy to learn and implement. If you are a
Web-designer, a back-end programmer, or an interface engineer,
microformats are relevant to your field.",
KEYWORDS="book,oreilly,pdf,microformats,brian+suda",
YEAR="2006",
MONTH="09",
AUTHOR="Brian Suda",
PUBLISHER="O'Reilly Publishing",
ADDRESS="1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472, USA",
}

@PDF is not a valid type, nor is it even a type in any case; it's a format.

Bruce