[uf-discuss] Citation Microformat: LazyWeb for BibTeXperts

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 06:31:54 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> All an access date does it authenticate a URL; it says "the URL was
> valid on this date." URLs change, so citations REQUIRE access dates. I
> have never seen an exception to this rule. Whether we call it
> "dtvalid" or "dtaccessed" doesn't matter that much.

--- Yup, i think we are talking about the same thing in two different
contexts. I was describing going to an article (something like A List
Apart, or any other web-based magazine, etc.) pressing my little
bookmarklet and get a .bib file ABOUT that page, then i could add that
into my own document as work THAT I AM CITING. Then i could just use
the current DATETIME as the dtaccessed.

The senario you have shown (and others) is an article with several
references in the bibliography. You need to know WHEN that author
accessed at THOSE referrences.

That goes back to a very early idea with citations[1], is the citation
mark-up about the CURRENT page, or about something else. (that
'something else' would need a dtaccessed).

ALSO, as a side note, if you are contributing to the wiki, be sure to
add your name to the list of contributors.

-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming#This_and_That

--
brian suda