[uf-discuss] Microformats in Form Fields

David Osolkowski qidydl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 13:15:53 PDT 2006

Someone can mark up a form as an hCard anyway, regardless of whether
it's in the spec or not.  I imagine at least one person has already
tried it after reading this thread, to see what it looks like.  Thus,
parsers could be subjected to this construct regardless of whether
it's in the spec.  Thus, they have to at least handle it somewhat
cleanly as an invalid case, if it's decided not to make it part of the
spec.  I don't think handling it vs. not handling it is as big a job
as some may have implied.

I don't have an opinion on the handling of the root element, but I
have a feeling using the accept attribute may be problematic; it
sounds like it's tied to file upload input elements (input
type="file") [1].  Simply putting class="vcard" on the form element
sounds like the purest solution to me.  Remember that there may be
tens of parsers, but there can be millions of documents, so it's
better to optimize for the author than the software developer--and I
am a software engineer, so this isn't bias against developers.

- David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.3