Phone number links (Was: [uf-discuss] Potential accessibility spin-off from hCard)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Oct 9 06:45:29 PDT 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:

> Phone numbers have a URI identifier of "tel" [1], useful for
> protocol handlers that understand
> VOIP or faxes.
>
> eg:

> class="tel" href="tel:+1-416-555-
> 1212">+1-416-555-1212</a></span>

FYI, Skype is promoting callto: links [1], which seem to do the same
thing, as well as skype: links [2], which are obviously specific to
their product.  I wrote a Greasemonkey script that wraps callto:
links around tel values.  It's GPL and could be easily changed to use
tel: (or skype: or whatever) instead.

[1] http://support.skype.com/index.php?
_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=108
[2] http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/advanced.html
[3] http://greasemonkey.makedatamakesense.com/callto_tel/

Peace,
Scott