[uf-discuss] Re: Software Projects Description

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Mon Oct 9 17:02:37 PDT 2006

Le 06-10-07 à 00:42, Lachlan Hunt a écrit :
> Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 5 oct. 06 à 10:08, Stephen Paul Weber a écrit :
>>> Software Downloads (license, download link, title, description,
>>> rating?)
>>> Might actually start some research and suggest this soon.
>> Already done. It's called DOAP
>> http://usefulinc.com/doap
>
> One thing that would actually be very useful for users on a
> download page is a way to markup a check sum (commonly MD5 or SHA)
> and semantically associate it with the file to be downloaded.  I
> couldn't find anything like that covered with DOAP.
>
> MD5 sums are provided for downloads like Apache and PHP.  It would
> be useful so that the browser could take care of checking the file
> when it finishes downloading.  Presently, it requires too much
> manual effort for an average user to even bother figuring out how
> to check it.

- The browser *could* but doesn't for now.
- How many common public softwares (downloadable from a Web page) do
MD5 or SHA?
- The average user will never do MD5
	not, because it is too much effort
	but he or she is not a geek.
- MD5 or SHA are useful only for a small geek community where the
software is released on a distributed network (Linux, open source
projects, etc.)
- Distribution modes are
  	- OS built-in (Debian, Apple, Windows, etc)
	- Softwares built-in (Check Updates)
	- Web pages (open source software, creator site)

On the topic of distribution, RPMfind for Linux is working with RDF.
	http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpmfind/

PS: geek is not used qs a dismissive term.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***