[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Wed Oct 11 12:43:03 PDT 2006

Scott Reynen wrote:
> Specifically, I don't think it makes sense to have the first <abbr>
> tag with no title, and the second <abbr> with no content.  It looks
> like you're trying to communicate three different pieces of
> information when only two are really being published.
Thank you for the feedback. Let me first clear up what I am trying to
communicate here.

My rationale is that in "99 cents", the two pieces of information
published are the amount and the unit of currency (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(currency)), not the amount and the
currency. Without context, the currency piece of information in "99
cents" could be U.S. currency, Australian currency, Canadian currency or
Euro currency. This is what I am trying to reflect. See also:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1965120/s8.html that
clearly shows the distinction between the currency and the denomination.

The reason why there is no title attribute in <abbr
class="unit">¢</abbr> in my example is b/c I don't want to get ahead of
myself and leave this up to the measure proposal, but it should be <abbr
class="unit" title="[some standard/agreed upon code for "cent"]">
> Can we just treat everything as the default unit
Not sure what you mean in the context of the 99c example. The default
unit for the US currency is the Dollar, not the Cent, but in the context
of the 99c context, we need to ensure that "Dollar" is not picked as the
unit, but "Cent" instead is.
> and adjust the machine-readable values accordingly?  E.g.:

> class="currency" title="USD">¢</abbr></span>

So using this notation would require the parser to interpret the ¢ as
the cent unit of the USD currency without this information being
disambiguated using a microformat. It would certainly work, assuming you
can deal with the different way of representing the "Cent" information,
but isn't our goal here to make interpretation easier, and not require
to have to deal with all these tiny differences?

Guillaume