[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Wed Oct 11 16:33:55 PDT 2006

Scott Reynen wrote:
> So which of these tasks should we aim to make simple?  I'd say the
> latter, because it's far more common (well over 80%, I think).
I think we agree here. $99 is more common than 99c, so the former should
be simpler to microformat than the latter. Where it seems we differ in
opinion is that the latter should still be possible to microformat.

To paraphrase you, what is simpler? to give a solution, although a bit
less simple, to the minority of people who uses "99c", or to ask them to
change the way they do things and use "$0.99"? I believe in the former.

I think you'll agree that the following is pretty simple:

class="amount">99</span></span>

And most people in this community seems to be in agreement with this.
See currency-brainstorming

Now, what do we offer to people who use amounts in U.S. cents on their
Web site.

Nothing or something?

If the community agrees it is a rarity, then we may want to just offer
nothing (hopefull the poll I sent will provide useful feedback to this
question).

Users will come up with something themselves if the community was wrong.
I have seen at least one web page where the cents part of the price was
marking up (even when represented like "$39.99") to display the .99 as
superscript - I'll try to find this again and document it in examples.

If we want to offer something, then for "70 US cents" as in
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/01/1088488063161.html?from=storylhs,
we could have:

class="currency" title="USD">US</abbr> <abbr class="unit"
title="cent">cents</abbr></span>

This is slightly more complex, but after all, people using this are
relatively few.

Now, what about "70 cents". I suggested using an empty abbreviation that
was not well received, but an include link to a hidden global definition
would work as well:

<abbr id="#u1" class="hidden currency" title="USD">$</abbr>

That's a bit more complex, but at least there is something for the
minority to follow. And my experience with standards is that if there is
something that the community defined, and it works for a user's
particular problem, then the user tends to go with it.

My 2 cents,

Guillaume