[uf-discuss] Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Thu Oct 12 22:27:53 PDT 2006

Mike Schinkel wrote:

>This is a naïve question: Doesn't the ISO 4217 code *imply* a symbol?  It
>appears so here: http://www.xe.com/symbols.htm  Doesn't including this in
>the microformat create redundancy?
>
>Alternately, can't the symbols be extracted as not being alphanumeric
>characters?

I tend to agree with you and see this as a bit redundant, but I felt I
would reproduce the suggestion for the sake of not ignoring anyone's in
the vote.

>I wouldn't have guessed that meaning; I thought your were talking worldwide,
>not document scope. :)  So how would you mark up
>http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_spt_s1_d.htm ?  Can you show the
>actual HTML to help me better understand?  (not for the entire file, just a
>snippet.)

One solution is to use the include-pattern only; another solution is to
use the th scope only (if the currency is present in the column header),
or a combination of the two:

amounts in <span id="#u1" class="currency">USD</span>.

>If so, wouldn't that argue for "combination with
>units (ex. $34 per gallon, $2 per miles)" being out of scope and begging the
>need for a microformat that allows unit designation, i.e. hUnits?

We came to the same conclusion. A separate measure effort was started:
http://microformats.org/wiki/measure

>Anyway, I made a proposal here:
>http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-brainstorming#Mike_Schinkel with the
>idea of trying to minimize the burden placed on the author of the HTML, and
>only use lots of markup in the exceptional cases.

You have some good points there. That said, I think that currency should
not be the root class, money should be, since semantically (to me) $35
is not a currency, it is money, and currency is part of money. But I see
the benefits of briefness.

>My last thought on the subject, is why are we using full names for currency
>and amount instead of "cur" and "amt" to minimize bloat when hCard uses
>names like "fn?"

Good point too.

I will try to document the different options presented over the last
days. It does not seem that we will get a 100% on all feature
implementations, so I guess it will be up for the community to decide
through a vote, or limit the feature scope to what is 100% agreed,
namely currency disambiguation.

Thank you,

Guillaume