[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Thu Oct 12 23:55:25 PDT 2006

Le 06-10-12 à 23:18, Scott Reynen a écrit :
>>> class="currency" title="USD">¢</abbr></span>
>>
>> This is the sort of absurdity that the credit card advertisers
>> engage in.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.  Do you not think 99¢ means
> fundamentally the same thing as 0.99USD?
>
>> What you see is 99 and what you get is less than 1.
>
> That's only true if you consider the value outside the context of
> the currency, and I don't know why anyone would do that.  "99" is a
> meaningless monetary value without a currency assigned.  If the
> currency is going to be optional, I think it at least needs to be
> implied.  Otherwise we just have a number with no idea what it
> means.  And if there's an established currency, then why not use
> the unit already explicitly defined by that currency's ISO 4217
> code?  Why throw away the "D" in "USD"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217
"The first two letters of the code are the two letters of ISO 3166-1
alpha-2 country codes"

There are also issues in the way you divide numbers. In many
countries, number are organized by sequence of 3 digits. For example,
in Japan

           10 yen = ju(10) yen
         1000 yen = ichi(1) sen yen
but    10000 yen = ichi(1) man yen (and not ju sen yen)

      10000   万       man
       1000   千       sen

	wa-on     kan-on    mandarin
  1 一   hito       ichi     yi
  2 二   futa       ni       ar, liang *
  3 三   mi         san      san
  4 四   yon        shi *    si
  5 五   itsutsu    go       wu
  6 六   mu         roku     liu
  7 七   nana       shichi * qi
  8 八   ya         hachi    ba
  9 九   kokonotsu  kyuu     jiu
10 十   tou        jyuu     shi

And this is actually used in daily life, in case people think its a
corner case.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***