title attribute and abbreviated class names (Was: [uf-discuss] Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Oct 13 05:34:01 PDT 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 10:34 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Anyway, I made a proposal here:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-brainstorming#Mike_Schinkel
> with the
> idea of trying to minimize the burden placed on the author of the
> HTML, and
> only use lots of markup in the exceptional cases.

I think your use of the title attribute in these examples contains
two bad practices.  The first is using title outside of <abbr>, which
is effectively hiding data from humans, as this information is not
human-readable in browsers, while <abbr> title is.  The second is
using title in <abbr> to surround data that is not meaningfully
equivalent to the title.  "USD" is a good <abbr> title for "$"
because they mean the same thing.  "USD" is not a good <abbr> title
for "$12.57" because they do not mean the same thing.  Imagine
listening to that with a screen reader set to read titles instead of
content for <abbr> tags.  You'd hear "Price: USD" and have no idea
what the price is, as opposed to a clear "Price USD 12.57".  Humans
first, machines second.

> My last thought on the subject, is why are we using full names for
> currency
> and amount instead of "cur" and "amt" to minimize bloat when hCard
> uses
> names like "fn?"

"fn" was taken directly from an existing vocabulary (vCard), so any
change would make implementation more difficult for those familiar
with that vocabulary.  Without those constraints, we should use
descriptive and human-readable class names to ease implementation and
avoid name clashes.  "cur" might mean "current" in another context,
and this ambiguity is a problem for both publishers and parsers.
It's a minor problem, but it's also a minor solution - typing four
extra letters.

Peace,
Scott