[uf-discuss] Use-check: rel="enclosure" attribute

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:08:36 PDT 2006

Hello,

On 10/13/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> I have marked up the link to a PDF on:
>
>         http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/ladywalk/maps.htm
>
> with the attribute
>
>         rel="enlcosure"
>
> Is that use correct?

An enclosure basically marks what is being linked to as being "part
of" the document.

Thus, if you were to "save" the document, then you should save all the
enclosures too.

It's similar to an "attachment" you get with e-mails.

So for your example, if you considered that PDF to be "part of" the
HTML document... then it is correct.

> what are the advantages of doing so? Are there any
> tools in the wild, which will make use of that?

Off the top of my head, both Fireant and Feedburner support rel-enclosure.

I've seen (and even written) Greasemonkey userscripts that support it.

And have written a webcrawler (and parser) that supports it.

(There's probably more... that's just what comes to mind right now.)

> I can see the use of a FireFox extension which lists all the attachments
> ("Enclosures") on ap age. Does such a thing exist, yet? Perhaps 'Tails'
> might do so?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
>                 Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>