[uf-discuss] Use-check: rel="enclosure" attribute

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 10:05:32 PDT 2006

Hello Andy,

On 10/14/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <84ce626f0610131408r4d7dac5ald682cc4ee7ab4682 at mail.gmail.com>, Charles
> Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> writes
>
> >On 10/13/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have marked up the link to a PDF on:
> >>
> >>         http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/ladywalk/maps.htm
> >>
> >> with the attribute
> >>
> >>         rel="enlcosure"
> >>
> >> Is that use correct?
>
> >if you were to "save" the document, then you should save all the
> >enclosures too.
>
> Yes; but what tools recognise that?
>
> >if you considered that PDF to be "part of" the
> >HTML document... then it is correct.
>
> That's my question - is it "part" of that document?

That's in many ways subjective.  Do YOU consider it part of the
document?  If you do, add a rel-enclosure.  If you don't, then don't.

> >> what are the advantages of doing so? Are there any
> >> tools in the wild, which will make use of that?
> >
> >Off the top of my head, both Fireant and Feedburner support rel-enclosure.
>
> I don't know those - but my page is not a feed, so are they relevant?

Neither is probably relevant for what you were doing.  I was just
naming some examples (because you seemed to ask for some).

> >I've seen (and even written) Greasemonkey userscripts that support it.
>
> Such as? And in what contexts?

Like alot of the stuff I create, it has to do with online video.

> >And have written a webcrawler (and parser) that supports it.
>
> Again, what contexts?

Same as above,  For online video.

> >> I can see the use of a FireFox extension which lists all the attachments
> >> ("Enclosures") on ap age. Does such a thing exist, yet? Perhaps 'Tails'
> >> might do so?
>
> I've asked on the Tails support page.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett