title attribute and abbreviated class names (Was:[uf-discuss]Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:27:56 PDT 2006

>> Your examples seem to leave a lot of ambiguity about what things mean,

I'm new to proposing microformats, so I clearly have a lot to learn, but
that said I don't see where what I was proposing was ambiguous. Can you give
me explicit examples where allowing default assumptions for the most common
use cases will by necessity lead to ambiguity?  It seems to me that either
something will be specified or if not it will default?  That seems non
ambiguous to me. Am I wrong?

>> There's no getting around that.  Reducing this markup by making the class
names more ambiguous isn't worth it.

Okay.  But one final point on this; has this been discussed this with those
who make the decisions for markup used at the largest sites: Google, eBay,
Amazon, etc.?  Just curious? (and I don't mean to push this, it's just that
being pedantic is in my nature, unfortunately. :)

>> Do you know someone who actually has this problem?

No, just bringing up something now that occurred to me rather than wishing I
had brought it up later.

>> And I don't see any other high-volume sites doing this kind of
micro-optimizing for bandwidth.

Okay. Maybe it was more of a concern a few years ago when bandwidth was more
expensive. I'm happy to drop it now that I've had a chance to test the
concern.

-Mike