[uf-discuss] Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:55:06 PDT 2006

>> I'm not a retailer, but if I was, I'm sure I wouldn't consider the
prospect of a 20% failure rate very satisfactory...

I didn't imply that at all.  Explicitly stated, I was saying that edge cases
would be in the 20 percentile, not that we'd have a 20% failure rate.

Further, I said I believe that it would be much more likely to see adoption
if the 80 percentile case were much easier to implement.  It is easier to
get people to learn and adopt complexity if they can get started by not
having to learn and use complexity. Once bought in to a concept, assuming
the complexity slope is not to steep, people will incremetally accept
complexity. But they won't accept complexity up front. It is a concept I
learned from one of my college professors called "transitionality."  I
blogged about it a few years ago:

http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/DevelopmentToolsNeedTransitionality.aspx

We can look look back at OS/2 and Windows; in the early days one was
optimized for quality and one was optimized for adoption. Look which one
won.

>> That said, why not make the "symbol" markup optional?

That's IMO is an additional good idea.

-Mike