[uf-discuss] "Casual Web Services" and Well Designed Urls

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:49:47 PDT 2006

>> Honestly I think this is the most important part. Who cares how
aesthetically pleasing or well organized a URL scheme is if it's not
reliable?

Please start with these:
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/welldesignedurlsarebeautiful.aspx
Notice this post has been picked up by numerous other bloggers:
http://www.technorati.com/search/www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/WellDesignedUrlsA
reBeautiful.aspx

>> Who cares how aesthetically pleasing or well organized a URL scheme is if
it's not reliable?

Which is why reliability will be part of Best Practices. Please note the
first two recommendations on my prior blog post are "Well Designed URLs
Point to Content that Does Not Change" and "Well Designed URLs Don't Change"
are my clarifications of "Cool URIs don't change" (which I plan to clarify
even more in the future on http://blog.WellDesignedUrls.org)

My goal for WellDesignedUrls.org is to take my blog post recommendations
(and more) and expand on them in individual blog post and then gather
comments and input and post them as Principles/Best Practices on the wiki.
Additionally, I'm hoping to recruit a critical mass of like minded
individuals to help just as there are similar individuals helping Tantek
with this.

But the reason I bring them up here on Microformats discuss as I see clean
URLs as being important for being able to easily screen scrape microformats
in a reliable manner for retrieving data programmatically as opposed to them
being just useful for someone to click a bookmarklet and gather some
information for personal use.  Without clean understandable URLs,
Microformats are far less useful, IMO.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/