[uf-discuss] "Casual Web Services" and Well Designed Urls

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Mon Oct 16 22:26:44 PDT 2006

Le 14 oct. 2006 à 18:02, Mike Schinkel a écrit :
> I recently started working on a project I'm calling "Well Designed
> Urls"
> (http:///www.welldesignedurls.org/) that has been a pet issue of
> mine for a
> long time. See my Aug 2005 blog post:
>
>    http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/welldesignedurlsarebeautiful.aspx

There are interesting things in your post BUT be careful of Well
Known Location issues.
Trying to standardize URLs would be very bad by limiting the choices
of users.
In these cases, there is a balance between what do we improve and
what are the problems we create in the ecosystem. As an example Link
Ranking Systems have increased spam on the Web and nofollow didn't
solve it at all.
Microformats have a "poor man namespace" mechanism which is the
profile in the head. It helps people using the same class names to be
free to use them without the same semantic (with the hope that search
engines, do not index microformats not properly identified by the
profile.)

Do not confuse Web Architecture with URLs. That's the part which is
not understood from REST Web architecture style.
I encourage your to read this excellent series of posts by Joe Gregorio
http://www.oreillynet.com/tags.csp?tag=rest

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***