[uf-discuss] hResume - Marking up experience and "present" date

Jeremy Boggs jeremyboggs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 05:54:42 PDT 2006

Hi List,

Another newbie question: I'm marking up my CV using hResume, and I'm
a little uncertain about how best to combine hCard and hCalendar
classes to mark up experience.[1] Right now, I'm using the following
markup:

<dl class="experience vevent">
<a class="url org" href="http://chnm.gmu.edu">Center for History and
New Media</a></dt>
	<dd>
2005</abbr>-present</p>
	</dd>
</dl>

So, the <dl> starts the "experience" and "vevent." the <dt> is both
the "summary" of the vevent and the start of the hCard. Finally, the
<dd> is the "description" of the vevent, and includes the events
start and end times.

Is this a correct way of marking this up? Are there better options? I
want to make sure I have the uses of hCard and hCalendar correct,
with regards to hResume.

Also, you may notice I didn't mark up "present" as the dtend of the
event. Are there established ways of marking up "present," or the
present date, with hCalendar? Some of the resume examples[2] either
don't use dtend at all, or use it for "present", but give it title
values that aren't the *present* date. I imagine you could use <?php
date('Ymd'); ?> to spit out the current date, but that might be
problematic too, as it implies a specific end date. Alternatively,
Sajid Saiyed's resume uses <abbr title="Present">Present</abbr>.[3]

Thanks!
Jeremy

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Experience
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Examples_in_the_wild