[uf-discuss] rel-nofollow or equivalent for Citation format

Jeremy Boggs jeremyboggs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:18:13 PDT 2006

Hi List,

I've been trying to catch up on the citation microformat discussion.
Very good stuff!

It seems like there would some use for the rel-nofollow microformat
(or some equivalent) to it in the citation microformat, so that
citations can better express how much weight or authority is given to
the work in question. The idea is that, even though I "cite" a work
or refer to it, I might not want to give that work any additional
weight, much like rel-nofollow does for hyperlinks.

My concern stems from the idea that there's a difference between
simply listing or referring to a work, and citing it as an authority.
If I'm writing a blog post critiquing Holocaust deniers, I may, say,
reference a book arguing that the Holocaust didn't happen, but I
don't want to give that book any weight or ranking, or give it more
authority, with my citation. In fact, I would want to do the
opposite: Give it no weight at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeremy