[uf-discuss] Wiki markup for "<a href=..." entities

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Oct 18 20:51:18 PDT 2006

Hi all:  I just had a bad experience in trying to enhance some examples at
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq#X2V_does_not_convert_email_with_name_as_plain_text

I wanted to create a "live example" on the Wiki, i.e. use actual Microformats in an example so
that Microformat enabled browsers would be able to extract the example.  I entered this code:

=====

One possible valid hCard markup would be:

<pre><nowiki>
 &amp;lt;<a class="email" href="mailto:Email at example.com">Email at example.com</a>&amp;gt;
</nowiki></pre>

This might be displayed as:

href="mailto:Email at example.com">Email at example.com</a>&gt;</span>

=====

Unfortunately, this rendered REALLY poorly in the Wiki -- it seems the "<a href..." entity is
stripped out by the Wiki.  Using Wiki markup, eg.

  [http://Email@example.com email at example.com]

displays properly, but doesn't allow me to apply Microformats to create a "live example".

What to do?  This has already given one IRC participant the heebie-jeebies and a hissie fit...

--Bob.

(examples were discussed in the thread at http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-
discuss/2006-October/006156.html)