[uf-discuss] Citation Microformat: Examples (wiki structure seems confusing)

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu Oct 19 01:38:19 PDT 2006

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback on how I can contribute.  I've been a bit busy, but
was able to do some research on the Accessed Date field I would like to see
added to the spec.

You suggested I post some examples on the web page, but I don't understand
your organizational strategy of "Examples are broken down and organized by
element." And since you made a point of keeping that clean, I have hesitated
to mess it up.

So, with apologies to the list, I've included the markup here.  If you can
explain where & how I should put it into the Wiki, I'd be happy to. (I have
access, just not sure exactly where on the page to put them.)

I found no examples with any sort of semantic markup, although that is
typical in most of the examples already on the wiki.

For example, Google marks up the Retrieved On date for cached pages like
this:
====================================
href="http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/features.html#cached"><font
color=blue>cache</font></a> of <A
HREF="http://direct.sref.org/1680-7375/acpd/2006-6-9723"><font
color=blue>http://direct.sref.org/1680-7375/acpd/2006-6-9723</font></a> as
retrieved on Oct 10, 2006 18:34:10 GMT.<br>
====================================
Basically, without any semantic markup.

Similarly, Wikipedia sometimes uses "Retrieved On"[1]:
====================================
href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/08/CuttingEdge/"
class="external text"
title="http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/08/CuttingEdge/">Cutting
Edge: Script Callbacks in ASP.NET</a>. <a href="/wiki/MSDN"
title="MSDN">MSDN</a> Magazine (2004-08-08). Retrieved on <a
href="/wiki/2006" title="2006">2006</a>-<a href="/wiki/August_1"
title="August 1">08-01</a>.</li>
====================================

While, other times, it uses "Accessed On" [2]:
====================================
href="http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/98037--b.htm#1" class="external
text" title="http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/98037--b.htm#1">s1(1)
Crime and Disorder Act 1998</a>", Office of Public Sector Information. URL
accessed on 18 June 2006.</li>
====================================
Again, no semantics in the markup. The links for the date are tags into
Wikipedia.

CiteSeer uses Accessed On [3] both in the <HEAD> and in the <BODY>:
====================================
<head>
<title>Citations: html accessed on the 29th of October - Trec, August, trec,
gov (ResearchIndex)</title>
http://trec.nist.gov/overview.html accessed on the 29th of October, 2000.">
http://trec.nist.gov/overview.html accessed on the 29th of October, 2000.">
</head>

and

http://trec.nist.gov/overview. <i>html accessed on the 29th of October</i>,
2000.</b>
====================================

A few more:
Ning.com's Girl-on-Girl page for Scarlett Johanson[4], actually in hidden
text for some reason.
====================================
<h2>References</h2>

<b>^</b> Neil Young's Film Lounge.
Peter Webber on Girl with a Pearl Earring. Retrieved on April 12, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> The Jewish Forward. The Scarlett Grandma. Retrieved on April
12, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> MSNBC. Scarlett Johansson escapes Cruise's clutches. Retrieved on
July 18, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> MovieWeb. Scarlett Johansson Is The Other Boleyn Girl. Retrieved on
July 18, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> Life Style Extra. Scarlett Johansson to star in Dallas. Retrieved
on July
23, 2006.</li>

<b>^</b> ScarlettFan. 21 Jul 2006 - Dallas Movie and Reebok. Retrieved on
July
23, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> IMDB News. Johansson: Because I'm Worth It. Retrieved on July 18,
2006.</li>
<b>^</b> BusinessWire. Reebok Partners with Screen Star Scarlett Johansson
to Create Red-Hot Fashion
Collection, Scarlett Hearts Rbk. Retrieved on July 25, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> ContactMusic. JOHANSSON: AMERICANS DISAPPOINTED BY BUSH'S
RE-ELECTION. Retrieved on
July 18, 2006.</li>

<b>^</b> Reuters. Could Scarlett Johansson be Woody's next muse?. Retrieved
on
July 25, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> TheObserver.
Retrieved on August 09, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> BangItOut. Match Point (2005). Retrieved on July 18,
2006.</li>
<b>^</b> FemaleFirst. Scarlett Johansson
slams God acceptance speechs. Retrieved on July 18, 2006.</li>
<b>^</b> ContactMusic. JOHANSSON'S BIZARRE RELIGIOUS MOMENT. Retrieved on
July
18, 2006.</li>
</ol>
====================================

And a page from the University of Virginia[5]:
====================================
<P>American Council on Education and American Association of University
Professors. 2000. <I>Does Diversity Make a Difference? Three Research
Studies on Diversity in College Classrooms</I>. Executive
Summary. Washington, D.C. Retrieved on November 28, 2004 from
<A
HREF="http://www.aaup.org/Issues/AffirmativeAction/Archives/2000/DIVSUMY.PDF
">http://www.aaup.org/<BR>

Issues/AffirmativeAction/Archives/2000/DIVSUMY.PDF</A>. [Question 3]

<P>Affirmative Action Office, Pennsylvania State University. <I>Getting
Different Results: Affirmative Action Guidelines for Searches to
Achieve Diversity</I>. University Park, PA. Retrieved on November 11, 2004
from
<A
HREF="http://www.psu.edu/dept/aaoffice/GettingResults/index.htm">http://www.
psu.edu/dept/aaoffice/GettingResults/index.htm</A>. [Question 6]

<P>American Association of University Professors. 1973. <I>Diversity &
Affirmative Action in Higher Education:
A Report by the Council Committee on Discrimination</I>. Washington, DC.
Retrieved on December 9, 2004 from
<A
HREF="http://www.aaup.org/Issues/AffirmativeAction/Archives/pre1996/AARDAFHE
.HTM">http://www.aaup.org/<BR>
Issues/AffirmativeAction/Archives/pre1996/AARDAFHE.HTM</A>  [Question 6]

<P>Bingham McCutcheon LLP, Morrison & Foerster LLP, and Heller Erhman White
& McAuliffe LLP. <I>Preserving Diversity in Higher
Education: A Manual on Admissions Policies and Procedures After the
University of Michigan Decisions</I>.
Retrieved on January 6, 2005 from

<A
HREF="http://www.equaljusticesociety.org/compliancemanual/Preserving_Diversi
ty_In_Higher_Education.pdf">http://www.equaljusticesociety.org/<BR>
compliancemanual/Preserving_Diversity_In_Higher_Education.pdf</A>
[Question 2]
====================================

There are also various standards which require citations of online material
include an Access or Retrieval Date, including the World Intellectual
Property Organization's (WIPO) standard for citing patents [6] and the APA
Style Guide[7], which is commonly used for papers in the social sciences.

If Google, Wikipedia, and CiteSeer use an Access Date and WIPO and the APA
style guide require it, would you agree that meets the 80/20 threshold?

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASBO
[3]http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/1700402/0
[4]http://girlongirl.ning.com/detail.php?DetailID=258667