[uf-discuss] hResume - Marking up experience and "present" date

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Thu Oct 19 14:48:21 PDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Jeremy Boggs <jeremyboggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems, though, that setting the dtend date to the document's
> publication date would imply a specific end date for the job that
> isn't accurate. For instance, if I published my resume a month ago,
> but I'm still employed at the same position, I wouldn't want to use
> <abbr class="dtend" title="20060919">present</abbr>.

IMO it implies that you were employed during those times, I'm not sure
whether it implies you're *not* employed after the DTEND...

If it's any consolation, I've had a very similar problem in real life,
when I put
2005-2006' on a job entry on my CV and was asked why I left the job... I hadn't!

> Brian Suda recommended using "duration" for dates when i asked about
> historical dates a while back.[1] Is there something similar in iCal
> or in RFC 2445 for "repetition"...that is, can you say that an event
> repeats perpetually?. I know in iCal itself, you can set certain
> events to repeat every day, or specific days/times. Is there
> something similar in RFC 2445 or ISO dates that covers this?

I belive if you set a DURATION, the semantics aren't that different
from setting a DTEND, it's just a different way of representing the
same data (and DTEND type representations are far more common in
hResume).

You could set an ambitiously optimistic DURATION, or an extremely
futuristic DTEND for now, that might capture what you're trying to
say.

It's certainly an area that needs attention (and seems to be getting
it, from the last couple of messages in this thread).

-Ciaran McNulty