[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose abbreviations)

Christopher Rines crines at senira.com
Thu Oct 19 19:44:48 PDT 2006

In message <5j$UhbDvx8NFFwi7 at pigsonthewing.org.uk> Andy Mabbett
<andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> in addition to other things said:

> And yet we have "geo".

I think comparing geo and sci, etc. is not a great example as I think geo
can be thought of as a well known abbreviation.

As with much other microformat work a well known standard or abbreviation
like vcard I think geo can is a (or close to) "standard" so it is a "safe"
abbreviation which I think is what we should be aiming for when creating an
abbreviation of any type.  I do realize GEO is being used by others such as
the Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) but I THINK what I say holds as geo being
an implied abbreviation standard.

The point I am trying to make is abbreviations can be very dangerous and are
very easy to mis-interpret so I think we need to think long and hard before
choosing and implementing them.  I am not arguing against them in specific
cases but very well thought out cases.

As microformats are human-readable first I think size is a secondary
consideration.  Are there any stats about how many sites are compression
enabled vs. not?

Thank You,

Christopher

Signup at www.doteasy.com