[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 00:51:59 PDT 2006

>> In the US that will mean one dollar, in Argentina (where I'm from) it
will mean a thousand dollars.

I believe you misunderstood what I was proposing; a shorthand for cases
where it was unambiguous.  When it was ambiguous it would require more.
Unless I misunderstand, you would almost never use three decimal places for
money and if you did you'd need to use the unambiguous version.  Right?

>> I do agree though that there should be some sort of optimization.

It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that this is essential.

Question: How does a human currently interpret a website that is have values
such as $1,000 when it it was designed by a US company with US customers in
mind? Is there something in the HTTP headers that makes this explicit that a
machine could read, or does the Argentine viewing the web page just have to
figure it out in context?  If not, then we'd need a page-global currency
seperator too...

-Mike
P.S. I apologize on behalf of myself and my countrymen for us being so
USA-centric, but we unfortunately are. Hopefully globalization will open our
eyes and change that before much longer.