[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose abbreviations)

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 11:37:14 PDT 2006

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again.

>From <http://microformats.org/wiki/geo>:
"geo is a 1:1 representation of the "geo" property in the vCard
standard (RFC2426 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt)) in XHTML"

As you can see, the authors of the spec weren't the ones doing any
abbreviating.  The name was picked to reuse a pre-existing standard.

In picking out class names, you might find it fruitful to look at
names already be used to describe the kind of data you hope to mark
up.  This is a core tenant of microformats.

There are some simple tests to resolve debate around whether or not to use sci:
* Are there any examples on the web where people are using "sci" as a
class name in a way that roughly means what you also intend it to
mean?
* Are there any standardized, or conventionalized, formats that
describe what you mean to describe?  Do they use "sci" or something
else?

One effects of networked systems is that re-use raises the efficacy of
both the original and the copy.

Ben