[uf-discuss] Visual Art Titles Microformat Proposal

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 17:46:39 PDT 2006

On 10/21/06, Jeremy Boggs <jeremyboggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like this might be a good addition to the citation
> microformat effort [1] and related pages. [2] I think the majority of
> the discussion/efffort for the citation has focused on text
> documents, but a case could certainly be made (and one that I would
> support) that the citation microformat should include works of art
> and other visual works (photographs, sculptures).

Yes.

>  As you mention, some of the basic components (title, creator, date)
> are already in use in the citation microformat.

Well, actually, title is not going to be included, because of the
no-namespace problem. E.g. it would conflict with hCard title, which
is different. But fn is essentially used to achieve the same thing (if
really awkwardly).

> There are a few other components (medium, size, unit of size) that might not be included.

Medium and/or format ought to be included in hCite, since that
information typically gets included for any non-physical-text items.
E.g. if you cite a film, you might include "DVD."

Bruce