Observations with using hCitation for Art (was Re: [uf-discuss] Visual Art Titles Microformat Proposal)

Jeremy Boggs jeremyboggs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 12:08:48 PDT 2006

On Oct 22, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Brian Suda wrote:

> there was a long thread about it last April, you can read through
> the archives:
> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-
> April/003703.html
>
> i don't think much was agreed upon, but ideas were certainly floated.

Ah, thanks Brian. Should've done a search first ;)

> The way i quickly find things in the archives is by using Google's
> SITE: search parameter.
>
> "site:microformats.org/discuss/ death day"
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=is-
> is&q=site:microformats.org/discuss+death+day&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>
> You might want to try searching for other things like "date of death"
> ect. That discussion might have spanned a few threads?

Thanks again, very helpful! I'll do some more research on past
discussions to see what ideas were thrown around.

> In your case you are actually asking for a fuzzy precision, like this
> photo was taken "last week" or "last year". At the moment there is no
> way to indicate this very well, and i'm not sure DURATION is the exact
> semantics you would be looking for this this situation, although i
> don't have anything more to offer.

I can see how DURATION wouldn't be semantically correct. Using <abbr
title="1800P15Y"> is, semantically speaking, saying that it took 15
years to publish or create the item. I guess, as with the measures
markup, we should ask...

> "What are consuming apps doing?"

...when using DURATION in this manner, and with other "fuzzy" uses :)

Best,
Jeremy