[uf-discuss] Page-Global solution to Size Considersations (wasSize considerations (or how to choose))

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 23:30:34 PDT 2006

>>> 1.) It seems like it should be a Design Pattern and not just something
>>> for a single Microformat
>> --- we do, ...

Point of clarification, I meant that we specify a solution that could be
used multiple places as opposed to one that just applied to "money."  The
"include" pattern is a syntax for which we still need to define the
semantics.  It's a conduit, not a solution.

>> ... If you are trying to shave off bits, then this doesn't do much for
you, because you replace, <span class="type">USD</span>, with <a
href="#id-ref" class="include" />, not much saving for a single value, but
good for referencing full hCards for people and organizations.

Actually if you use my examples from prior email in the case of money, that
can shave off a *lot*.  Plus it can make the file much easier to maintain.

>> --- this is starting to sound like a solution to a non-problem.

Nada!  In previous email I gave numerous examples that people are publishing
and several of them had lots of different currencies marked up with *lots*
of prices.

Par exemple:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/2007/institution_price_list.ht
ml

There are more where that came from if needed. Note I do my best to give
real world usage examples on this list, not just hypotheticals.

>> --- i would agree, we are bound to the semantics of HTML - we want as
much interoperablity as possible, so you'd have to find elements that
already exist that can serve this purpose.

Anything wrong with <div> and <span> enclosing the entire user-supplied
content?

>> "do we have a solution to a problem, or are we find a problem for a
solution?"

Hopefully you see from my example we have the former, no?

-Mike