[uf-discuss] Size considerations and other property-names for "species"

Charles Roper charles.roper at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 11:38:07 PDT 2006

On 23/10/06, Benjamin West <bewest at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm going to poll a few experts on this. I'll let you know when I get
> > some feedback.
>
> It's probably more important to poll already published content, to
> learn how the market place is already doing it.  This is the whole
> point of documenting examples, analyzing publishing behaviour, and
> only afterwards determining what the schema and names should be.

I work with experts in this field and so it's a simple task for me to
ask around. Also, googling for binomial nomenclature and binominal
nomenclature reveals that binomial is the far more common usage.
Google even tried to spell-correct binominal to binomial.

Going back to learning how the market place is doing it, I've yet to
see an example that uses the term binomial as a class name in markup.
If I find an example, I'll post it.

> Time would be much better spent continuing work on organizing examples
> by publisher and publishing behaviour, documenting existing practices,
> and discovering the implied schema, as the other microformats have
> done.  To my knowledge, this process still isn't complete.

I will focus efforts in this area. In my own experience working in the
field of biodiversity informatics and web design, I would anecdotally
say that there are very few common existing practices apart from those
I've already pointed out. I'll work these into the examples.

Charles

--
Charles Roper
www.charlesroper.co.uk