[uf-discuss] Size considerations and other property-names for "species"

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Oct 24 11:52:45 PDT 2006

In message
<b5d3b8c70610240125h2921ab7dx6d02a1b6d1f4ad38 at mail.gmail.com>, Charles
Roper <charles.roper at gmail.com> writes

>On 23/10/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> >I've yet to
>> >see an example that uses the term binomial as a class name in markup.
>>
>> I've always used "sci", for binominal ands sub-species' names. There has
>> been some comment here, which I've happily accepted, that that wouldn't
>> be a good property name for a uF.
>
>Yes, I've had a look and can see examples of your use of "sci" on the
>examples page [1]. These instances you would replace with "binomial"

Or binominal ! ;-)

>(when the species uF is finalised) as the feeling here is that "sci"
>is too generic. Have I got that right?

Possibly, or:

With:

for vernacular/ scientific pairs;

and with:

        <abbr class="binominal" title="Pica pica">
        </abbr>

for vernaculars;

and with:

for subspecies (and so on).

>Putting aside your own markup for a moment, have you seen it being
>used anywhere else?

Not that I recall, but then I've not examined the markup of such sites,
until this proposal came along.

I know there's a "Google Code" search. Perhaps we'd benefit from a
"Google Mark-up" search?

[Of interest - see Note 4, on:

  <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/future/papers/rothenburg-19980412.html>

it's interesting that uFs have given us the first three missing items -
and were now debating the fourth ! ]

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>