[uf-discuss] [chat] Microformats are not for data storage

Christopher St John ckstjohn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 05:48:52 PST 2006

On 10/30/06, Colin Barrett <timber at lava.net> wrote:

> I think the chat group should alter its focus to providing ways to
> semantically talk about the structure of a chat and a particular
> message entry. One of the most obvious benefits in this area is much
> better clipboard support -- copying things out of Meebo and Adium/
> Kopete's HTML view usually results in an un-useful mess.

The microformats approach requires existing "in the wild" examples to
function. If there aren't any yet, then it's more of a research project than
a standardization effort. So...

 - Are there examples of what you're talking about already out there? The
 live-chat-using-ajax examples appeared to use something that looks
 a lot like sections of a chat log, but I've only looked in detail at a couple.

 - What are specific examples where the existing chat logs formats
 are insufficient for what you want? (you mention hCard for participants and
 better time zone representation, but couldn't that be done within the
 framework of the existing chat log formats?)

Personally, I'd like to see the specific examples first, with a focus change
to follow. The current set of pages seems inclusive enough for both, and
things can always be split up.

I hope that didn't come off sounding negative, live chat presentation is the
thing I've been most interested in from the chat microformat effort, and
it's great to see one of the Adium developers participating.

-cks

--
Christopher St. John
http://artofsystems.blogspot.com