[uf-discuss] [chat] Microformats are not for data storage

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Mon Oct 30 06:36:27 PST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 3:40 AM, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> and don't forget the plausibility of creating XSLTs to convert the XML
> into whatever-the-heck-you-want for storage. ;)

A good point, although I'm not sure why you'd want to think about that
when creating a standard. XSLT to go from one format to another sounds
like a shoehorn for when you have widget X that wants format A and
widget Y that wants format B and they need to interact. Planning to do
this kind shoehorning from the start seems a bit silly. To be a bit
more topical: most of the widgets currently out there are using XML,
and there exist a lot of libraries and tools for working with it. I
still don't see how a uF for this sort of area (chat log storage)
isn't anything other than a pie-in-the-sky idea, and kind of contrary
to the uF process.

-Colin