[uf-discuss] Internet Explorer 8.0 will support microformats

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Mon Oct 30 06:42:00 PST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 3:48 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> I've got a question about this.  To say IE8 will support Microsformats
> doesn't make sense to me, unless they means it will support the
> Microformats
> agreed to at the point IE8 is made feature complete.  But what about
> those
> that come after?

They get left out of the party ;) This is probably what will happen.
Or, perhaps even more realistically, they'll just support hCard and
hCalendar.

> Or, is this saying that IE8 will have a capability to process
> Microformats
> abstractly so that new ones can be added after IE8 has shipped?  And
> if that
> is possible, wouldn't it make sense for us as a group to go ahead and
> specify a standard way to define that abstraction?

I'd be surprised to see something like that come out of MS. And I'm
not sure we want to define a "meta microformat" that all formats need
to follow. That sounds awfully limiting and very tricky to write.

> -Mike Schinkel
> http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog
> http://www.welldesignedurls.org/
> P.S. If this makes no sense it's because I haven't had enough sleep
> lately... :)

We've all been there ;)

-Colin