[uf-discuss] Microformats clippings set for BBEdit

Kerri Hicks Kerri_Hicks at brown.edu
Mon Sep 18 11:39:30 PDT 2006

I wrote up a simple outline for an hCard and hCalendar code block,
and sent it to my friends at Bare Bones Software for inclusion in
BBEdit's 'Clippings' autocompletion feature. If you type 'hcard' or
'hcal' in an HTML document, and hit F5, it will insert a full code
block with commonly used Microformat elements in it for the MF you
chose, and then you can use a keystroke to pop from one place to
another to fill in the content.

The clippings don't have *every possible* hCard or hCalendar data
type, but it's a start, and a nice way to get the word out about
Microformats. If anyone has suggestions about how to make these
better (especially if I've totally screwed something up), or other
clippings to include, please let me know. I think the next thing
would be to maybe add individual clippings for each class...and maybe
add XFN or XOXO...

 From the 8.5.1 beta release notes:

     +   Added clippings for Microformats to the default HTML
clippings set.

The download link for the beta version of the app that includes the
set is at

<http://birch.barebones.com/pub/seeding/bbedit_851b1.dmg>

BE AWARE, though (also from the release notes):
"Note that these are _pre-release_ versions. The intent is to fix
bugs and address areas of improvement based on what our customers
have reported. However, since the software is at this point not fully
tested, there _may_ be bugs and regressions. If this prospect makes
you nervous, then sticking with the public release versions is your
best course of action."

Also, if you have an earlier version of BBEdit installed, the
clipping set won't show up, but you can download the latest HTML-with-
Microformats set from http://gevalt.techtorial.com/microformats/  and
you can add the set manually to either 8.5 or 8.5.1 (the set might
actually work with the pre-8.5 versions' Glossary feature, but I
haven't tested that). I presume the Microformats set will be listed
on their web site to download separately when the new version ships.

Best,
Kerri