[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:38:11 PDT 2006

Hello Andy,

On 9/20/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <84ce626f0609201122s2226ed59of8ad0f90ce6d5f31 at mail.gmail.com>, Charles
> Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> writes
>
> >I didn't completely follow all of the last currency thread.  (Got busy
> >at work, and lost track of the thread.)
>
> I think it meandered somewhat...
>
> >But here's what we are doing...
>
> >Something that renders as...
> >
> >   $5.00
> >
> >Would have the markup...
> >
> >   <abbr class="iso4217 &#164;" title="CAD">$</abbr>5.00
>
> Interesting, but is "iso42172 better than "currency"?
>
> Andy why is the currency symbol ("&#164;") needed there?

Although I think I was (also) suggesting using the label "currency",
(after thinking about it more) technically the <abbr> is NOT around a
currency, but the "currency symbol".

So a class name like "currency-symbol" or "currency_symbol" would be better.

But... "&#164;" or "&curren;" or "¤" actually means "currency symbol".
 (It's a pictograph for it.)

And since I'm guessing this is a language neutral way of saying
"currency symbol", I thought it was better.

(Also... just a note... I used "&#164;" instead of "&curren;" or "¤"
because I think it is the most portable way of getting the currency
symbol in there... they are all equivalent though.  But that's why I
put that in there instead of the other 2.)

Also, "iso42172" is NOT a replacement for the "currency" class name
(or the "&#164;" class name).  It is something that aids it.

It just tells you what format you are going to use to specify the
currency (in the "title").  There are other formats for specifying
currencies besides these 3 letter codes.  (Like there are different
ways of specifying distances... like "miles", "kilometers", "light
years", etc.)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.