[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 18:04:12 PDT 2006

Hello Andy,

On 9/20/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <84ce626f0609201730q561491c5yde97bf094d272356 at mail.gmail.com>, Charles
> Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> writes

> >> Seconded. It only needs to be specified if there's more than one
> >> standard in use.
> >
> >But what if others want to use other currency labels?  (Other than
> >those specified by ISO 4127).
>
> Such as?

I don't know of any specific alternate specifications.

Although I have seen evidence that there are others.

For example, with ISO 4127, "Canadian Dollars" has the code "CAD".

However, I have also seen the code "CDN" used for "Canadian Dollars".

I don't know specification that is from though.

IMO, it would be better to be forward thinking an allow for the
possibility of other currency codes.

> >What if a new specification comes out and these 3 letter codes from
> >ISO 4127 becomes obsolete?
> >
> >Then what?
>
> What if any other default standard does?

My suggestion would be to not have a default, and always specify a
"type" (like "iso4127").

> >And what if one or more of these 3 letter codes also stands for
> >something else.  Used in some other Semantic HTML (or Microformat)?
> >
> >For example.. what if "sit" is used in some other Semantic HTML?  How
> >do you know if "sit" represents the Slovenia Tolar or to "sit down" in
> >some other Semantic HTML (or something else)?
>
> Inside a "money"-classed span?

What if the money class is contained/nested in yet another piece of
Semantic HTML.  There could be confusion in that case.

I think we've had problems like that when the hAtom class names were
being decided on.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.