[uf-discuss] hCard question

Gazza gazza at garyjones.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 23:24:26 PDT 2006

David Janes mumbled the following on 21/09/2006 00:52:
> I'm seeing this:

> username">kwilson</span>@<span class="spamprevention
> domain">3color.org</span></span>
>
> in a vCard [1]. Good. No good? I'm guessing the latter.

while splitting the e-mail address into parts is not part of the uf as I
understand it, I can understand why this has been done, as it does, IME,
greatly reduce spam.

I once displayed an email address webmaster@ so that the w was big and bold:

When the junk mail arrived, the to: only contained ebmaster at . Clearly
the spam harvesters were looking for the @ sign, then cropping up to the
nearest HTML delimter. Following on from this, using:

me<span>@</span>example.com

means they would only harvest the @ sign. Using the kwilson example
you've given is just 1 step further forward on from that, using the same
idea, but making the markup more semantic. I have to say, I've seen this
example before, and I do employ this method on some of my sites.

--
Regards,
Gazza