[uf-discuss] Use of <abbr> (also <object>) and Accessibility

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 15:20:48 PDT 2006

On 21 Sep 2006, at 20:05, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> There're some interesting views about the use of <Abbr> by
> microformats,
> on the Accessify forum:
>
>         <ttp://www.accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6167>
>
> also an interesting take on the non-use of <object>.

I'm a little confused reading through that: The debate about whether
the use of ABBR is fine and well, I follow that, but maybe I came too
late the Microformats community to understand the references to OBJECT.

I was under the impression that the OBJECT bugs in Safari were
related to the first generation include pattern, prompting the
creation of rel-include. Can someone link me to a post in the
archives that concerns the OBJECT and ABBR for datetimes issue the
Accessify thread raises?

In general, the _theoretical_ ABBR discussion is well based, datetime
is a new use and perhaps it stretches the element too far…  maybe
not. The thing is though, people love to talk their interpretation of
the semantics and expected behaviours but I'm yet to see anyone with
access to assistive technology produce examples to demonstrate
problems (or otherwise).

Ben