[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal for "What's New" listings

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Sep 21 17:30:03 PDT 2006

In message <02AD0347-2B20-4BBB-BDA7-E6A6D0E37ACE at infocraft.com>, Matthew
Levine <matthew at infocraft.com> writes

>On Sep 21, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> How does this look:
>>
>>   <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/newATOM.htm>

>> Am I right to use rel="bookmark" for the pages which are linked to by
>> the entries?
>
>My understanding is that the permalink (rel="bookmark") should be a
>stable URI for the entry itself (not pages linked from an entry).  An
>appropriate permalink in this case would point to the <tr> fragment,
>which probably wouldn't make much sense for your page.

The microformats wiki says:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom#Entry_Permalink>

        an Entry Permalink element represents the concept of an Atom
        link in an entry

which links in turn to:

        <http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php#rfc.section.4.2.7>

        (aka <http://tinyurl.com/q9d34>)

        The "atom:link" element defines a reference from an entry or
        feed to a Web resource. This specification assigns no meaning to
        the content (if any) of this element.

If you were right, then hAtom would be of no use for the purpose I
outlines; and we'd still need a "What's New" microformat.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>