[uf-discuss] Use of <abbr> (also <object>) and Accessibility

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:40:33 PDT 2006

It seems the people on that forum have a malview of an abbreviation,
stating that part of a datetime is not an abbreviation for the whole
datetime.  This comes (often) from a misunderstanding of
'abbreviation' in a vocab-grammatical context.  People think that for
it to be an abbreviation it must be shortened words/phrases.  This is
not so, and '7:25 PM' is a perfectly legal abbreviation for 'January
5, 2006 7:25 PM', because one is part of another (assuming the time
was dealing with the time on the day given, which is the assumption).

The thread also follows the misunderstanding that <abbr> is ever used
where <object> would be... this is (at least mostly) not the case.