[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:54:27 PDT 2006

Hello Scott,

On 9/21/06, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
>
> > Parsers like only having one format to work with.  Let people display
> > what they will, the machine-readable should be consolidated.
>
> I agree.  Publishers also like having only one format to work with.

But sometimes they change their mind on what that single standard
format should be.

At one time, everyone wanted to use RFC 822 dates.  (Like "Thu, 21 Dec
2000 16:01:07 +0200".)  But no longer.  Now everyone wants to use ISO
8601 dates.  (Like "2004-02-12T15:19:21+00:00".)  In the future people
could change their mind yet again.

For currencies... We could specify one standard currency -- ISO 4127 3
letter codes -- for now (which would make these people happy).  But
also think to the future about if people change out minds (and don't
want to use ISO 4127 anymore) and just add the iso4127 class in there
so we can gracefully migrate in the future.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca