[uf-discuss] [citation] Call for scope check (was Re: Citation: next steps?)

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Fri Sep 22 16:48:55 PDT 2006

Why aren't we looking for an established format to fulfill our 80/20
requirement and become a
good 1:1 scope?

BibTex does authors like this,

@article {
   Author = {Vicente, Kim J. and Rasmussen, Jens}
}

While EndNote does it like this:

<record>
   <contributors>
     <authors>
       <author>Vicente, Kim J.</author>
       <author>Rasmussen, Jens</author>
     </authors>
   </contributors>
</record>

BibDesk[1] also exports the following:

<dd class="Pub">
</dd>

Perhaps instead of wheel reinvention, we should look to one of these
well-used citation formats.
Is there any reason why neither BibTex nor EndNote fields are listed
in the citation-examples
page of the wiki? They seem the closest thing to what we're looking
for, i.e. BibTex could be to
hCite what vCard is to hCard. Blithely creating our own format seems
reckless and doomed to
obscurity.

[1]: http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/

--