[uf-discuss] Proposal: species

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Sep 24 01:08:42 PDT 2006

In message <06679606-BD0B-4CF2-9516-54D78D6A6930 at lava.net>, Colin
Barrett <timber at lava.net> writes

>On Sep 23, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> "Human being" is a reference to a species, and should be marked up as
>> such on any page which includes it in a biological context.
>
>That's quite a bit of extra metadata -- IIRC the species tree has a
>height of about six or seven at its shortest. Is that really necessary
>on EVERY page mentioning a scientific name in a biological context?

No. Who has suggested that it is?

>Could an automated tool be written to, when the text "Homo sapiens" is
>encountered, automatically mark it up into the correct species
>microformat?

Yes - any find-and-replace tool can do that.

>is Genus Species a fairly unique way of identifying  something?

Of course. The whole point of taxonomy is to uniquely name things.

>Or are there collisions?

No.

>I think questions like those will help your case -- sending dozens of
>links to this list will not.

Then you'd better ask TC why he asked for them.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>