[uf-discuss] use existing before proposing new

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 24 15:17:59 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06 2:38 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <C13C4482.7BB26%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
> <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes
>
>> Before proposing even the assumed *need* for a microformat, what if we
>> require that the proposer *first* demonstrate an understanding of
>> current microformats by requiring that they use/adopt existing
>> microformats on their web pages whereever applicable (e.g. hCards for
>> people/orgs, hCalendar for events etc.), and only *after* they've
>> actually used existing microformats as such, permit the proposal of new
>> microformats?
>
> In my case,

Just to be clear Andy, my note was not directed at you in particular.

It's been something I've been thinking about a lot and Scott reminded me.

> I came here some months ago, lurked, posted a few minor
> comments and lots of questions; marked up some test microformats, asked
> for feedback, applied fixes, iterated, marked-up a quantity of real
> data,

Cool.  Just to be sure - did you add the pages you marked up to the
"Examples in the Wild" sections of the respective specifications?

I'm thinking were we to adopt this modification to the process that that
(adding links to examples in the wild to the wiki) would be the concrete
measurable aspect of this requirement.

> proposed two simple replications/ adaptations of an existing
> format, and ONLY THEN proposed the format ("species"), the desire for
> which had first led me to look for something like microformats in the
> first place.

Excellent.

Did you find it to be useful/educational to go through the process of
marking up and publishing real data with existing microformats?

> That said, you can't stop someone from saying "Hey, I think we need a
> microformat for X"; doubly so in a supposedly *open* standards
> community.

Of course not, but we can help steer people towards being more effective
with their microformat ideas and proposals, which is a primary goal of the
process.

Thanks,

Tantek